wApr 5, 2006


Sleep envy; Classes; What the hell

Yesterday on the way to class, Chad informed me that Albert Einstein got 10 hours of sleep per night. My immediate response was, "That &$%@#er!" But....wouldn't that kick ass? I aim to get 8 hours every night, but it always ends up being between 5 and 7. Maybe I should aim for 10, and then I would at least get 8. I'll let you know how that goes, :)

I signed up for classes tonight. My goal was to sign up for 2 English classes, 1 Political Science class, and 1 class to fulfill some of my non-bio Science requirements. I was mostly successful.
Weather and Climate: This is supposed to be easy for non-majors. However, I've heard this before (Nutritional Science, Geology), and I don't have high expectations for my grade.
English 217, American Literature: This is one of the requirements for the English major. I'm taking it now so I don't have to take it with a professor that I've hadand disliked in the past.
Shakespeare class: I'm currently signed up for two of them so that I can decide which one to take later. One Shakespeare course is required for the English major. I'm currently leaning towards option 1.
  • Shakespeare choice 1: This class meets 3 times per week, for 50 minutes per lecture. There is no discussion, only the large lecture. There are no papers - only exams. Approximately 12 plays are studied, all up to 1600.
  • Shakespeare choice 2: This class meets once per week, from 2:30 to 5:25. The class is about 30 people, I think - so, a smallish discussion group. There are papers, presumably on each play. 4-6 plays are studied.
Political Science - Elections & Voting Behavior. I really had wanted to sign up for "The Politics of Human Rights," but it was gone by the time it was my turn to sign up. Chad and my friend Mary from the Cardinal both signed up for Elections & Voting Behavior, so I did too. It discusses "psychological and social components of voting behavior, current electoral trends, role of voters in the governing process." Unfortunately, the class is 3 credits instead of 14, which leads me to my problem.

My problem is that once I drop one of the Shakespeare classes, I would only have 13 credits. Obviously, this isn't very much. I added the lab to my Weather and Climate class, which brought it up to 14. I'd rather have a 4-credit Poli Sci class, but unless the Human Rights one opens up, I think I'll stay with what I've got.
I started looking at some random 1-2 credit classes. It would be fun to take ballroom dancing or something, but I'd be afraid to take it by myself. They're probably full of sorority girls, :/
THIS SHOULD NOT BE THIS INTENSE, NOR THIS RIDICULOUS.

I want to see "Thank You for Smoking" - Katie Holmes and Robe Lowe, :O Yes, I like Katie Holmes. I used to watch Dawson's Creek. It was a good show for a few seasons there! And Joey Potter was my favorite character. Biting sarcasm will always win me over. And Rob Lowe is just Robe Lowe. Plus the whole West Wing thing.

Now that it's warmer out, the squirrels have been in action. Steph and I get very excited when they jump down into the well outside our window. We make faces and cock our heads at them, and make chirping noises, and they make noises back.
Things I Learned in College:
1) How to communicate with woodland animals.

How exciting is it that the San Diego Zoo is naming an eagle after Stephen Colbert?! I love him.
Current Music: The Daily Show, The Colbert Report
scribbled mystickeeper at 10:39 PM
5 comments
5 Comments:

Ten hours would be glorious! >) That human rights course would be awesome. I'm suprised there is so much interest in those types of classes. Hope for the future. yey.

By Blogger Unknown, at 12:26 AM, April 06, 2006  

Classes like that are always the first Poli Sci ones to be gone. There was one called "Comparative Social Movements," too, which filled up even before that one. You have to remember that this is a very liberal campus, :)

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 12:35 AM, April 06, 2006  

if option 1 for shakespeare is with Dick Knowles, I've heard he's a great professor. so maybe you'd be okay in that class.

sometimes, with school, less is more. Just stick with 14 credits, that's stilll a full-time load. Don't wear yourself too thin. Unless you actually want to do ballroom dancing or any other dept of kinesiology class, don't take them. From what I understand, they're time consuming and they still require some small amount of homework.

By Blogger Gretchen, at 7:43 AM, April 06, 2006  

Thanks for your input, guys! With my previous inklings and your wisdom, I have decided to go with option 2. Unfortunately, I'll still have the Tuesday/Thursday clumps of 3 power lectures in a row, unless I change Poli Sci classes, :/

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 4:26 PM, April 06, 2006  

Hah hah hah.

j00 r00l.

By Blogger Gretchen, at 8:07 AM, April 07, 2006  

Post a Comment