wFeb 7, 2006


Updates and Politics

Despite my bad mood before going to sleep last night, I've been a pretty good mood all day today. Maybe it's because I was able to watch the newest episode of Battlestar Galactica (twice!) and it was really, really good. In fact, if you watch BSG and are interested, you can find my thoughts over in my LiveJournal. Once you get there, though, don't click the link unless you've seen the episode. I give things away!

Also, I have updated the Ghost Hunters blog. Don't get too excited; I didn't write anything, but rather uploaded pictures I made with some Internet site last semester. You can now see how I see three of my characters.

In other news, I find it incredibly amusing that the British have used The West Wing to play politics. The article is here, but since I'm nice, I'll pull out what I thought were the best quotes.
Slumped in front of the television on Sunday night, one of the leaders of the revolt watched with growing interest as Democrats won a key vote on stem cell research by pretending not to be around.

The congressmen hid in an empty office and then triumphantly emerged in force when the vote was called by the unsuspecting Republican speaker.

"That's where the idea came from," the MP, who declined to be identified, told The Daily Telegraph. "We had no big press conferences, no events announcing the coming protest. It was directly inspired by the West Wing," he said.

...As a result, Labour crashed to only its second and third Commons defeats since Tony Blair came to power in 1997.


Hee hee! I wish more real-life people in government would take note of the political ideas in The West Wing. Some things are really good ideas!

And lastly, is anybody else finding all of the protest surrounding the Mohammad cartoons really frightening? I don't think the European newspapers should have continued to reprint them, inflaming an extremely sensitive region of the world; at the same time, I don't believe that violence is the answer here. Are cartoons really this sinful? What about killing people? Murder, rape, the abuse of women? Unemployment and famine - there are plenty of things to protest in the Middle East that are much more serious than ink and paper that are printed in far-away lands.

Current Music: The Black Gate Opens - Return of the King soundtrack
scribbled mystickeeper at 12:40 AM
3 comments
3 Comments:

Wow, I hadn't even heard about that. That is disgusting.

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 4:42 PM, February 07, 2006  

The stuff about the political cartoons is really scary...it would be worse to be from Demark right now than to be American...

But I can kind of understand why they're upset, for Muslims it's forbidden to draw pictures of Mohammad right? It's blasphemy I think... I suppose the fact that the political cartoons aren't very respectful makes it worse. *And* somehow I think a number of governments aren't really helping the problem...

Actually the same thing happened to Time Magazine in 2001. They printed an image of Mohammad as part of an article about Jerusalem. There were some riots and things, not as big as the current ones though.

The whole current situation is a mess, it's sad that some governments are actually encouraging the violence.

By Blogger Louise, at 5:33 PM, February 07, 2006  

I think I vaguely alluded to this about three posts ago, but I definitely understand the Muslims getting upset - (upset, yes, but aeriscloud has a point - "They seem to WANT to stir up more and more conflict." Torching embassies and killing people and asking people to write cartoons mocking the Holocaust seem to be overreacting just a bit.

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 10:34 PM, February 07, 2006  

Post a Comment