wOct 27, 2005


OH NOES!1111!1!!!!1111!11

All right. I need to take a minute and get the stress out here. This is me the night before the last midterm (of round 1) freaking out about how I need to do better in my classes and I'm not going to have time to write papers next week and my journalism application is going to be horrible and I have no idea what classes I should take next semester and I feel like making an appointment with my advisor will be useless and I wigged out a little bit last night after writing in here because it's like everything is hitting me all at once - like I like who I am but I don't like where I am. In my life. Now.
So yeah. That's the preface to this rant of a stressed college student, so please don't take offense. That said.
This morning in one of my lectures, a teacher asked the class (about 80 of us) if we'd read a reading. Hands went up. She asked a question about one of the readings, and one student raises his hand and fumbles through the answer. She interrupts him before he's finished to point out why he's wrong and makes this speech about how we need to analyze carefully. We had had a guest speaker before she got in front of us, and she tells us how many pages of notes she took and how we need to be better students and grapple with readings. She goes into explaining things in a lecture format and doesn't stop and ends up talking 5 minutes over the end of the 75 minute class period (little peeved there).

Whatever. Here I am in my room, after a short and very-much-needed mental break at Sci-Fi Club ("28 Days Later" is utterly brilliant). I am with my can of Mountain Dew. I sit down and am ready to continue studying for my Comparative Politics midterm for tomorrow at 11 when I decided to check my email, and find a message from the TA of the class mentioned in the previous paragraph. In the message, there is this: Prof. told me that the guest speaker went on a little longer than expected and that therefore you all weren't able to go over Durster. Both Prof. and I are aware of the difficulty of the material. Since I've already had one student "vent" about how tough the reading is I think it's clear that we're going to have to spend some time on it tomorrow which means that we probably won't have time to discuss the movie in any kind of productive way. Spend the time making absolutely sure that you have read the Durster and that you have concrete questions to bring to class. Since the reading was for Tuesday and Thursday I feel like it's fair to assume that you've started the reading and would be somewhat prepared for a quiz tomorrow.
So, okay. The professor was dissatisfied with a student's interpretation in class, and didn't have time to fully cover the self-proclaimed difficult reading at all. People have voiced their opinions that the reading is tough in email to the TA. We're going to discuss it tomorrow in class - fine. But be prepared for a quiz?! Does this make any sense?!

NO. AND I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR A FREAKING QUIZ. I seriously started crying when I read the email. I think I kinda freaked out Steph, who was leaving for work. SOME OF US look at syllabi and figure out when we need to do shit based on midterms. Some of us decided to save the reading (just this once!) for the weekend so as to have more time to study because they need to get good grades because they need to get in schools that are impossible to get into. Some of us assume we are safe in a class that has no exam for a few weeks.

AND SOME OF US GOT SCREWED.

There was supposed to be no mental breakdown tonight! I can do well in Comparative Politics!

Okay, okay, okay. Worse case scenario is that I fail the quiz and it's worth like, 1/15 of my participation grade, which is 10% of my total grade (of course, knowing this class, they'd make it worth 5% of my grade or something). Oh well. Midterm in one class takes the primary position. Why do these things always happen to me?! Whether it's school or personal relationships, no matter what I do or how well I set things up to totally rock, I always get screwed. SCREWED.

*dissolves into tears*


Current Music: Stupid morons in the hallway who WON'T SHUT THE HELL UP

(Side note: I had this bookmarked and was probably going to make some witty remark about it, but no longer. Maybe it was funny? I can't remember.)
scribbled mystickeeper at 10:38 PM
3 comments
3 Comments:

Ta's and doctors are for the most part RETARDED...

THE END!

By Blogger Unknown, at 10:52 AM, October 28, 2005  

Ryan: I agree!

Creighton: If most people feel the same way towards their TA as I do towards mine.....these armies are entirely fictitious. Maybe your armies are a Creighton-only thing.

By Blogger mystickeeper, at 1:09 PM, October 28, 2005  

I wonder what TA Armies would have in the way of weapons...

But it's done for now right? Just have fun this weekend and don't worry about it for a couple days and it will feel better when you get back to it.

By Blogger Louise, at 4:21 PM, October 28, 2005  

Post a Comment